of Mount Stewart was settled in 1790 and incorporated in 1953. Population in 2003 was 312. Mount Stewart is located at the head of the Hillsborough River at the point where the river begins to narrow significantly. The village played an important role in the province’s early transportation history, being the site of a bridge over the river along the route between the capital at Charlottetown and the shire town of Kings County at Georgetown.
“John Stewart was born c.1758 in Kintyre, Scotland. He came to the Island with the rest of his family, in November 1775. In 1789 he bought part of Lot 37, where he built Mount Stewart, a beautiful country residence overlooking the Hillsborough River.”